Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thriving for NL1000 by the End of 2007

Sunday, August 20, 2006

I'm just amazing

I managed to play and lose like 5 buy-ins again. Doing okay in Razz helped with it a slight bit (like +$32 or so). My money just slipped away bit by bit. I flop top two against bottom set etc. A lot of variance in the play. In the end of the session, I probably blew off something along the lines of $30-$50 and then quit when I realized I had gotten frustrated. I think I did some great plays though that saved me some money and were highly EV in the long run. I'll go through some of the unorthodox hands here. Maybe they appear as pure lunacy but I believe I did the right thing with these.

Them Kings are the Shit. I want to start with the single greatest call I think I might've ever made (except the one I did with jack high last december in full blown tilt). This guy was an epiphany of a second level thinker and a loose aggressive opponent who didn't care much for what he had as long as he had an idea what his opponent had. Being 70/40/3 (Flop aggression being 6 and river being 4, turn was passivish), he was indeed a loonie. But he wasn't entirely out of line still. He didn't go to showdown with shitty hands etc. and because of this hand, he ended up quite a bit.

So after realizing what he was doing in the table, picking small pot after and other, I started repopping him. In fairly high percentage of times, around 3 or 4 times before this hand in the span of maybe 10 to 20 hands, I reraised him and he folded. This time I actually had a hand, I made the reraise $1 bigger than the earlier times, to make it seem a bit movish and also stray from the pattern. I did have good AJ+ hands the other times as well, but he didn't know it. This time, he elected to call. I could sense his frustration over me constantly repopping him. The game had been 3-handed a while before this one and he had shown me one checkminraise bluff before, basically where I raised him and he called, flop came down A74 and he checkminraised me with 45, I didn't have the ace so I lied of having KK and folded - and he showed it (This is a great tip for you there, works like charm - figure out a hand you think he could've outdrawn and state it. I don't know if they show their made hands, but they often show their bluffs).

Well, having that said, he called my big reraise. What range of hands would he call with? Earlier he had betfolded hands preflop and tossed them. I doubt he'd call with a weak ace - in fact, that's least likely of his holdings. And again, he checked to me. I bet $12 into pot of $18 and he almost instantaneously moves all-in. Clearly this was a prethought move and I was quite sure he had thought this even earlier. Would he assume that I couldn't have AK for example or given his raising range, other strong A? Yea, he very well might. His preflop call is also rather typical for hands such as pairs or maybe in this guy's case two high cards. He was clearly getting frustrated. Knowing this and feeling he quite likely didn't have the ace, I decided to make the call and get slapped in the face by the river. But I still think it was one of the best calls I've ever made, if not the best. The guy just had written "FOS" all over him. This would've been an instafold against a normal opponent.

Top pair mediocre kicker = nutz. This was another great play (in my opinion) by me. I figured that the most likely holding for the guy would be something like AT with the ace of spades. People like to slowplay, so I didn't think a flush was too likely in this case either. This guy was also in short so I didn't give him much respect for that either. His instacall had me worried and that rivercard had the eerie feeling all over it. Again, did it great.

And it's not like I'm in calling station mode. I recognice when I'm beat. In here though, I might've called if there wasn't a player to act behind me, but I think this hand was well played. I got a lot of money in when being a huge favourite and not a penny in when I got outdrawn. Also notice that the riverbettor is the LAG guy from the first hand (Although this was earlier in the session so I hadn't developed too good of a read on him yet).

Top two against bottom set, ain't that a classic. Nothing really special in this hand, but I just think it always goes like this. Sometimes you get lucky. But it's ridiculous how often it feels like it happens. I mean anyone know what's the mathematical probability of top 2 against bottom set showing up? It can't be too big, now can it.

This one I probably misplayed. I had concersations about this hand and also posted it to 2+2 forums. Basically I felt the initial raiser would be continuation betting with air here. Small blind worried me a bit after his call but he hadn't sit on the table for long (or perhaps it was me who entered the table just recently) so I didn't know what this meant. I decided to make it around $10 to drive out the UTG with JJ- or AK/AJ and SB who might've been floating light. But the anal leakage was there to follow for the SB turned out to be a habitual slowplayer. Whenever he front-bet, he folded to a raise and generally when he checked, he either called or raised. He did checkfold a few times too, but Checkraise and checkminraise were his eventual repertoire. I kept missing my hands, but I did manage to get some of this guy by reraising his flop bets. Kek. As for the results of this hand, he showed 77 and took down the pot with a set.

Anyway, horrible session and today I won't touch poker with a 10-feet stick. I will be back though and I'm not feeling as bad as I should be right now. I've been quite active on writing articles to 2+2, some with much, some with less success and if you wish to see my collected works from the last few days, go check out Finding the Perfect Stray of Thought. Bottom of that article, I've linked all my longer posts. Apparently someone had made a similar post in the recent days in the forum, but the intention was not to plagiate as I had never ever read such.

Looking forward to coming week. As I've already made account on another site, looking forward into making my first deposits early into the week.

Cheers.

1 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Durandal said...

Switch to Omaha, foo'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home